Hungerford Football

Hungerford 2 Dartford 2 (August 26)

On a warm bank holiday Monday afternoon, Hungerford picked up their fifth point of the season at home to Dartford. With this being the second game in three days, Ian Herring made five changes to the side that faced Wealdstone on Saturday. Herring also reverted to a back four with Rusby sitting in front of the defence to allow Louis McGrory, Dan Bailey, Zidan Akers and Kofi Halliday to support striker and captain for the day, James Constable. 

The attacking lineup were soon off the mark thanks to Zidan Akers inside seven minutes. His pace was too much for the visiting defence to handle and he coolly slotted beyond the reach of Mark Smith. Alex Fisher and Adam Cunnington had half chances before Darren McQueen acrobatically scored the Darts equaliser – though it was controversial due to a high foot being used by McQueen. Akers pace once again was effective down the flanks and he fashioned up a chance for Dan Bailey. Bailey however dragged his effort wide of a post. Cunnington was a vocal presence up top for the visitors and he was used to good effect. He made a chance for Luke Wandio, who struck wide of the target. With his next sight of goal Wanadio was ruthless, bulging the net with his low strike. Kofi Halliday had an almost instant opportunity to draw the Crusaders level. Cutting in from his right hand side into a central position inside the penalty area, he forced a fine save from Smith. McQueen had an excellent opportunity at the other end to give the Darts a two goal cushion but he headed over a Lee Noble cross from close range. 

The Crusaders started bright at the beginning of the second period until Siviter was called upon to make a fine one handed save from Cunnington. It was a crucial save as the hosts went on to dominate the vast majority of the remaining 35 minutes. Louis McGrory sent a shot wide of a post before the unfortunate Josh Hill nearly put the ball into his own net. Luckily for Hill goalkeeper Smith was able to collect the ball on the goal line. Joe Tomlinson had the best clear cut chance to get the equaliser. Marcus Johnson-Schuster passed the ball over to his fellow full back in plenty of space, however the execution of the finish was simple for Smith to gather. When the clock was ticking the Crusaders didn’t give up and Lynch rifled home a late equaliser a minute from time. The chance was seemingly gone when Smith smartly saved from Constable but Lynch picked up the loose ball strode towards goal and finished exquisitely. 


Wealdstone 3  Hungerford 1 (August 24)

Despite a good performance, Wealdstone took their chances and beat Hungerford by 3-1. 


Hungerford Town’s next game is away to Billericay Town on Saturday 31st August, 3pm kick off. 


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top
WordPress Cookie Plugin by Real Cookie Banner