4 Legs Community Radio reached another milestone on April 10th when it had it’s second birthday. It’s been another successful year with the following number of our planned goals achieved:
- Sponsorship – In July 2019, we secured 12 months sponsorship from Sovereign, the local housing charity, and we thank them for both their enthusiasm and their financial support.
- Website upgrade – In August 2019, we successfully migrated to a ‘new and much improved’ website design. A huge and special thanks to Website developer Alistair Mills for all the work he undertook to make it a seamless change. We’re extremely pleased with the end result. We’d also like to thank Mark Forrester son of 4LEGS presenter Tim, for his valuable input.
- New Studio – We successfully located and secured a new studio in January 2020. It’s double the size of the current studio, and there is access to toilets, hot water and ample parking for several cars. The plan was to move and broadcast from the new studio on April 10th, our second birthday, but unfortunately that’s been put on hold because of the Corona Virus pandemic.
- Extension of Broadcasting hours – Towards the end of 2019, broadcasting was extended by 2 hours every Friday, with the first show starting at 7am and the last finishing at 4.30pm. We’ve recently started broadcasting on a Saturday morning as well, between 9am and 1pm, and this will continue indefinitely with the plan to broadcast for the whole day before the end of 2020.
- 4LEGS Availability via other systems – 4LEGS Radio can now be listened to via the Sonos digital Sound System and, within the next month, it will also be available via Amazon’s ‘Alexa’ voice activated system
It was planned to register 4 Legs as a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) before April 2020 but that has not yet happened due to timescales and other radio station commitments. We will endeavour to achieve this status within the next 6-12 months.
With over 220 guests, we’ve broadcast 350+ shows during the past year and covered a diverse range of subjects that both inform and entertain. We’ve increased our listener numbers with an average ‘Live’ audience of 250+ every week (across all shows) and an average ‘Listen Again’ audience of 300+ (across all shows).
Towards the end of 2019, we launched the ‘Unsung Hero’ awards for the Lambourn Valley to find those people that have gone the extra mile to support their communities. With nearly 60 nominees we presented awards to 4 people from within the Valley. The overall winner received a meal for 2 courtesy of the Great Shefford Public House. Due to it’s success, the Unsung Hero initiative will be an annual event.
We’d like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who’s supported us during the past 2 years and also all those people that have taken the time to appear as guests and be interviewed. Going forward, we will be aiming to make continuous improvements to our content and to develop extra technical solutions, which will hopefully encourage extra listeners. The next 12 months for 4LEGS Radio are going to be huge, so keep listening.